Thursday, December 9, 2021

Keeko Makinista: Christian music man afloat

 When Keeko contacted me and told me that he worked on a ship and made his music in a cabin, I was more than curiously interested because I used to be a merchant sailor many years ago myself so I'm always willing to help a Brother of the Sea out. Here's my salty take on his songs.

"Freezing Point" is a song of anguish, a cry from the soul in the dark night, and Keeko makes use of slash guitar riffs and rhythms punctuated by screaming points in his lyrics that sound like fingernails dragged across a chalkboard, and the effect is, I'm sure, what the musician intended--the pain of not yet being in the Lord's presence when we feel we need Him most.



"Fix Season" is another song in this YouTube collection that points to God as the 'fixer' of our 'epic failed' lives and carries on with Keeko's signature driving rock sound beat--basic but effective in this context.

"Something I Call Personal" is not exactly that but rather a tune focused more on God from the opening lyrics throughout the song and exemplified by the line:

I'm praying while I'm growing in your grace...

It's a journey that every true believer is familiar with and the theme, in my opinion, cannot be overworked.

"Levites (A Side Story)" is his latest production and it begins with a screaming trash metal intro that would definitely appeal to aficionados of that particular genre but (sort of) mellows out and describes a tender symbiosis between Savior and saved in a type of Asian-pop rock-Switchfoot-throwback way that is worth checking out so please do:


No comments:

Conquerors

Popular Posts