Thursday, February 10, 2022

Musically Sinful Preaching

 Since there is a lull in interview requests (and a backlog in music reviews), I thought I'd take this opportunity to fill your screen with random Christian thoughts from a neophyte's perspective. Hey! It's my blog so I can do what I like! :)


My new band, Patient Chill, has released their debut album of the same name. We are mixing and mastering the last track, From Now to Eternity. The EP is a concept album which offers a Christian response to the pandemic--a topic that has become morbid and rightly so, but this release offers hope through trusting in Christ after subtly exploring the situation and redefining it musically in a gentle way. The titles of the five tracks should give you a clue:

1. Patient Chill

2. VaRiAnCe

3. Injection 6

4. Boost Her

5. From Now to Eternity

Some may criticize its seemingly secular sound and overt appeal to worldly sensibilities with its initial EDM track and psychedelic rock riffs, especially in Injection 6, but I offer here an early apologetic based on Scripture.

In the Book of Acts, Paul addresses the Athenians in the Areopagus and acknowledges their religiosity before telling them about Jesus and salvation. It is an attempt to reach people on their own level before praying that the Holy Spirit will lead them to repentance and a higher level of existence through the conviction of solid preaching. As he writes in 1st Corinthians 9:

19For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them. 20To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. 21To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. 22To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. 23I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings.

Now the obvious danger in adopting this approach is that you must have the clear objective of ultimately giving the gospel as your final appeal. In other words, be like the Lord was when He so graciously dwelt among us rebellious sinners. His presence affected them with holiness and His holiness was not affected by our sin natures. And as Shakespeare so aptly put it: Aye! There's the rub! 


Watch Boost Her lyric video from Patient Chill EP





No comments:

Conquerors

Popular Posts